I’ve just finished making my fifth picnic of half term, running low on some things now so raided the kids treat boxes and found unopened Christmas sweets – perfect for cold, wet, exhausted children (I’m not holding out much hope for the weather today ;)).
Following on from last weeks frugal fun suggestions, here’s what we have actually been up to. I am very aware that we live in the most amazing place, with a whole host of free and cheap events on all the time. These are the things we managed to get to, but there was lots more on offer that we just couldn’t fit in… move here if you have kids!!
- Superhero activities at Wollaton library – really brilliant (free)
- Wollaton Hall with huge new adventure playground – there for hours even in the rain (£2 for cup of tea for mummy, it was super cold)
- Lakeside Arts Centre play ground and galleries (free)
- Nottingham Contemporary Gallery looked at the current exhibition with kids activity packs and then took part in the half term art project – as wonderful as always (£5 for family tram ticket for the day)
- Shipley Country Park Pirate Trail – this is where we are going today, we have wellies on! (£2.50 car park, £1 per child over 5)
- Twycross Zoo – we have membership cards so, although initially a big cost up front, the fourth visit onwards is free. We go once a month, so now completely free and will be all summer when we will probably go once a week as the new play area is very good!. It’s about 35 mins in the car, so not too much petrol cost. (no incidents :))
- Library – our ‘normal’ library visit to exchange books and play, they also had a colouring in competition so there longer than planned (free)
- Ilkeston Road Park – running around like headless chickens, took the dog (free)
- Central Avenue Park – small is beautiful, grabbed a quick hour there while the sun shone randomly one afternoon, took the dog (free)
- Newstead Abbey – Golden Arrow Trail, as badly organised but somehow wonderful as always (£6 car park, £1 Trail sheet)
- Cinema Trip planned for Saturday morning, given free vouchers by a friend via their Sun Perks (free)
- Saturday Afternoon we have Stapleford Farmers Market, the WI Jumble Sale which we are making cakes for in the morning, and may go to the Wheee art installation at the Lakeside Arts Centre (free, free and £4 per person with free play area after…)
- Sunday we are meeting with friends at Belton House, as National Trust members it will be free for us, and we can also take their kids in for free too.
We are all going back to school and work for a rest!!