While we may have dreams of skipping through rainbows with our precious children in beautiful summer wear, singing our highly educational songs, on our way to eating a nutrious meal all hand made and packed with hidden vegetables… the reality is likely to involve a lot more eye rolling and shouting (at least mine is…). With this in mind as the main carer of children 24/7 for the next few weeks you REALLY need to make sure you are fighting fit.
If you haven’t already you should get an ‘annual check up’ with the Dr and make sure you are looking after your physical health. After a routine check up I discovered I was anaemic and had been for some time, so am now on iron tablets – it explained a lot! I also realise as a veggie that I need a B vitamin supplement. So…
- Eat a variety of foods – as healthy as you can as much as you can.
- Drink LOTS of fluids (non-alcoholic!)
- Wear suncream, don’t do the kids and forget yourself
- Eat regularly – to keep energy levels more even
- Take 30 mins, at least, per day to put your feet up. In bed or in the bath, reading a book or magazine, while the kids brush your hair and paint your nails…
- Remember to take any medications or supplements as directed
- Ask for help if you reach your limits – pride comes before a fall…
As a mental health lecturer for over 15 years I also worry about parents mental wellbeing, it’s the toughest job there is and there are no days off or holidays. After the Summer our next page will be Frugal Self Care ( I will try to come up with a snappier title…) and this will focus on how to look after yourself for free. Please seek help if you need it.